Advertisement

'Fahrenheit 9/11' Sequel In Jeopardy Due To The Weinstein Company Issues

'Fahrenheit 9/11' Sequel In Jeopardy Due To The Weinstein Company Issues
From Slashfilm - December 2, 2017

Documentary filmmaker Michael Moore was all set to make a sequel to his hit documentaryFahrenheit 9/11, and then The Weinstein Company came crashing down. TWCs Harvey and Bob Weinstein had originally committed$6 million to Moores filmFahrenheit 11/9, but in the wake of sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein and his ouster from the company, Moore no longer wants hisFahrenheit 9/11 sequel associated with TWC. Now a legal battle is brewing.

Michael Moores anti-Trump documentaryFahrenheit 11/9, a quasi-sequel to his hit Fahrenheit 9/11,was all-set as a release from The Weinstein Company, but circumstances have changed. Following sexual assault allegations against TWC co-founder Harvey Weinstein, Moore wants to take the film elsewhere. But theres a problem: TWC had originally committed$6 million to the project, and Deadlinereportsthe Weinsteins have spent $2 million on the film so far. As a result, TWC wont let Moore take the film to another company unless he pays back the $2 millionan idea that Moore has balked at, saying it would morally compromise his film to cut a check to a man he considers a sexual predator.

If this ends up in court, Deadline says Moore plans to undo the deal by alleging fraud against Harvey Weinstein, for entering into a deal on the film at a time he knew full well that his misconduct was being investigated and would soon be exposed. Of the potential legal trouble, Bob Weinstein said, Michael Moore and I always have and still enjoy a good personal and business relationship. With regards to commenting on his future film, I think he would be the best person to speak with.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Slashfilm »