Katie Hopkins refused libel appeal bid over Jack Monroe tweets

From BBC - January 12, 2018

Broadcaster Katie Hopkins has been refused permission to have her libel fight heard at the Court of Appeal.

Ms Hopkins was successfully sued by food blogger and campaigner Jack Monroe in March last year following two tweets in which the broadcaster accused her of vandalising a war memorial.

At the time, Mr Justice Warby told Ms Hopkins an appeal would not have "a real prospect of success", in his view.

She had claimed he had made errors in the way he applied defamation law.

Mr Justice Warby, sitting at the High Court, said the tweets in May 2015 had caused "Ms Monroe real and substantial distress" and she was entitled to "fair and reasonable compensation".


Continue reading at BBC »