Aziz Ansari responds to assault allegation

From BBC - January 14, 2018

US comedian and actor Aziz Ansari has responded to an accusation of sexual assault by saying he had believed the encounter to be "completely consensual".

Babe magazine published a detailed account over the weekend from a 23-year-old woman who said she felt "victimised" after a date with Ansari.

She said it had taken her a long time to "validate this as a sexual assault".

Ansari has said he "took her words to heart".

The article published in Babe contained lengthy alleged details of the pair's date late last year.

The woman, under the pseudonym Grace, alleges that when they returned to Ansari's apartment after dinner last September, he repeatedly tried to initiate sexual activity.

She says he ignored or did not notice her signals that she did not want to have sex with him, and after several interactions which left her feeling "very uncomfortable" she left in a taxi in tears.

She said she later texted him to say he had ignored "clear non-verbal cues" and that he had responded at the time by saying: "Clearly, I misread things in the moment and I am truly sorry."

'Surprised and concerned'


Continue reading at BBC »